Saturday 14 January 2017

The Boy Who Carried the Family Door



I read in a book that when Chernobyl happened,
People were told to vacate their homes
But a son carried their family’s door.

That door bore their memories.
The wood was an imprint of their souls.
They felt it, they saw it, it was part of them.

So the son, against the warning,
With the door on his back
And severed memories of their beloved home
Behind him
Cut through the bushes.

O, I cried.

That door was radioactive:
Dangerous yet a beautiful tragedy
I would have done the same
To carry memories with me
To grab the door- knob that my great grandfather’s fingerprints
Lie spread.
To feel its grains, its dents and curves and smell it.

-
C) Salem Lorot/ echoesofthehills 2017

-







7 comments:

Sherry Blue Sky said...

This is so moving, Salem, the door holding the family's memories and history, the great-grandfather's fingerprints. Wow. WONDERFUL to see you writing and posting, kiddo!

Sumana Roy said...

a single door becomes a character bearing memories, distress and danger of modern times...a most touching poem....thank you...

Intelliblog said...

This was wonderful, poignant and deep poem, Salem.
So many of us choose to carry old memories in our hearts, even though we know they are still capable of causing pain...

Salem Lorot said...

Thank you so much @Sherry Blue Sky, @Sumana Roy and @ Nicholas V.

Sok Sareth said...

The content of your blog is exactly what I needed, I like your blog, I sincerely hope that your blog a rapid increase in traffic density, which help promote your blog and we hope that your blog is being updated.

ตารางคะแนนบุนเดสลีกา

vaiybora said...

I really appreciate your professional approach.These are pieces of very useful information that will be of great use for me in future.

ดูหนัง

sanpiseth40 said...

The blog are the best that is extremely useful to keep.
I can share the ideas of the future as this is really what I was looking for,
I am very comfortable and pleased to come here. Thank you very much!
ดูหนัง

Post a Comment

Echoes of the Hills is all about you. I would love to hear your echo...

You Might Also Like

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Disqus for Echoes of the Hills